3.1 beta 3 is now available to developers, one day earlier than I was guessing. Most of the betas released this year have come out on a Tuesday and pretty much followed a 2 week release cycle…this was no different with the the 3.1 betas until today.
Apple also included a note that the current 3.1 beta 2 will be expiring July 28 at 12:00am which is less than 12 hours away for us on the east coast…unless of course they mean tomorrow night which would technically be July 29 at midnight. Maybe this Monday release was becuase they made a mistake with the expiration date and needed to get something out before they bricked a bunch of dev devices? Maybe they were expecting to have a GM out last week? Who knows, but if you are on 3.1 beta 2 you better get this installed ASAP.
Take your best guess when 3.1 will be released to the public in our when will iPhone 3.1 firmware be released for a chance to win a $50 iTunes gift card!
- You can now copy / paste videos into email like pictures, previously you could only use the share option which would compress the video to a lower resolution. I was able to copy, paste, and email a 33 second / 14.7MB file through gmail. I got the file at the full 640×480 / 30fps. Sending the same file via the share function yield a file size of 3.21MB at the compressed 480×320 / 30fps.
UPDATE There does seem to be a limit on what you can paste into the email though. When trying videos over 1 min I was still able to copy, but when pasting nothing would show up.
UPDATE 2 Looks like the limit is 15MB. I wonder if this is a setting in place due to concerns from at&t and their precious bandwidth?
UPDATE 3 The 15MB is in place for images as well. I just tried sending 20 images and it only pasted in the first 18 which came out to the 14.7MB, the same size as the video that pasted above.
- Usage now shows separate “Cellular Network Data” and “Tethering Data”. This is on a standard 3.1 beta 3 install, no hacks.
- iPhone no longer vibrates when going into the edit home screen icon mode (via ispazio)
- Still no AVRCP bluetooth support
- MMS functionality still included, but nothing has changed on at&t’s end (not working yet)
Follow me on Twitter @justin_horn
- More details on the iPad mini new multitouch feature
- iPad Mini predictions
- Zune still the butt of jokes, this time on the Simpsons
- AT&T LTE No Service: Too many LTE iPhone 5 users?
- iPhone 5 cellular usage while on WIFI bug affects AT&T users as well
- Tim Cook responds to iOS 6 Map app issues in public letter
- iPhone 5 screen vs iPhone 4: Really close up
- iPhone 5 line at 5th Ave Apple Store (Updated 11PM)