UPDATE They replaced the cable for me!
I just noticed that the USB cable that was included with my iPhone 3g is starting to tear apart. My friend is having the same exact issue which you can see in the picture to the right. Both of the cables have the tear in the same exact place. I guess since this cable was made along with the recalled plug, there might be an overall quality issue. Because the risk of electrical shock is probably not an issue with the cable I doubt we will see this recalled.
My friend was not able to have their cable exchanged at a local apple retail store because they said it looked like user damage and not covered under the warranty. Luckily for now it’s still working, but who knows for how long. I’ll update this thread after I try to exchange my cable at the same apple store.
Has anyone else experienced these issues?
Well I went to the grand opening of the latest apple store in Miami at Dadeland Mall and they returned it without hesitation! Not sure if they were just trying to be extra nice since it was a store opening or if my friend just got a “special” employee at the other apple store. One thing to note is it was replaced with a regular iPod cable, the one you squeeze to unlock from the device. This was fine for me as I believe the 3g one was the source of the problem. I will be using this one the same as the old one and will see how it holds up 2-3 months from now.
Follow me on Twitter @justin_horn
- More details on the iPad mini new multitouch feature
- iPad Mini predictions
- Zune still the butt of jokes, this time on the Simpsons
- AT&T LTE No Service: Too many LTE iPhone 5 users?
- iPhone 5 cellular usage while on WIFI bug affects AT&T users as well
- Tim Cook responds to iOS 6 Map app issues in public letter
- iPhone 5 screen vs iPhone 4: Really close up
- iPhone 5 line at 5th Ave Apple Store (Updated 11PM)